Top Tips to Healthy Habits:
I’ve been running for a long time now, which has put me in the privileged position of being able to watch & learn from a lot of elite athletes. Here are some of my observations on how they stay fit and healthy.
Relationship to food
1. They always have breakfast – not sugary cereal but a good healthy one – greek yoghurt, Hijke is my favourite, with berries or similar. See the breakfast recipes for smoothies & oats.
2. Snacks are an important part of their day – up to 6 meals/snacks in the day – but all of them are packed full of protein and healthy fats, such as almonds, berries, vegetables, smoothies, etc
3. They drink water, limit their caffeine intake and love lemon water & coconut water to keep them hydrated.
4. They are positive towards food, its fuel that can keep you running/ working out.
5. They eat treats without guilt. Chocolate, for example, is a treat that is eaten on occasions and they don’t feel guilty, just savour every moment!
6. They don’t weigh themselves, nor compare their body shape with others.
1. It’s not all about the gym or boot camp session, it’s also about having fun exercising and building it into daily life. A long walk with a friend, always taking the stairs, bicep curls with the weekly shop!
2. They laugh loud & often. Laughter is the best stress reliever, seeing the silly in your day always helps!
3. They believe in balance – extremes of diet, exercise and a rigid schedule are not sustainable. Sensible balance is key – moderation in everything!!!
1. They know that being over tired leads to bad food and lifestyle choices. How many times have you had a sugar craving just because you’re tired?
I hope these top tips help you plan a healthier lifestyle. As September draws closer,our Spring Challenge is nearly here. Jump into it to be the best you can be and kick start your healthy lifestyle.
Photo credits: Creativehomekeeper.com; myfitnesspal.com